Re: strange problem with LX

* Luke Shulenburger (sluke@bartender.mit.edu) wrote:
> hello,
> I've got woody running on an LX and have been having a strange problem
> lately.  The computer is being very sluggish so I've been checking the
> system usage in top.  No particular process seems to be the culprit as far
> as taking a huge percentage of CPU utilization, but whenever the system is
> running slow (quite often) the system is taking 80-95% of the CPU.  I
> don't even know where to begin diagnosing this problem.  Anybody have some
> suggestions as to where I can start?

I have two suggestions:
  1) cat /proc/cpuinfo and check the cycle frequency is correct.  I've seen my
	LX miscalculate this as 2.5GHz when rebooting; it is normally OK from startup.
	This completely confuses any timing anywhere.

	2) Use vmstat and top to figure out if it is user or system time and which
	process is eating it.

I've seen situations with 2.4.x (typically 2.4.8/2.4.9) where it suddenly takes
vast amounts of system time for a few seconds; it seems to filesystem related
since it only does it in kernel make deps and heavy debian updates.

Good luck,

Dave

 ---------------- Have a happy GNU millennium! ----------------------
/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert    | Running GNU/Linux on Alpha,68K| Happy  \
\ gro.gilbert @ treblig.org | MIPS,x86,ARM, SPARC and HP-PA | In Hex /