Kachina Technologies, Inc. to help Debian Sparc development

 Debian GNU/Linux
 http://www.debian.org
 Kachina Technologies, Inc. to support Debian Sparc Distribution!
 June 4, 1998

>> News

  Kachina Technologies, Inc. (http://kachinatech.com) has decided to help
make the Debian Sparc distribution commercially available to Linux
community.  When ready, the Debian GNU/Linux 2.0 'Hamm' Sparc distribution
will be offered by Kachina on both CD-ROM and on preinstalled systems as
well.

  When asked about their work with Linux, Ward Deng of Kachina stated:

  "[Kachina] has been working on UltraSPARC systems and Linux for many years
and realized UltraSPARC and Linux is the best combination for
high-performance computing users. We have demonstrated an UltraLinux cluster
at a trade show and drew a lot of attention.

  "We have been working on a native port of high-performance development
environment including Fujitsu Fortran 90, C, and other compiler/tools on the
Linux/UltraSPARC platform.

  "We have been supporting UltraLinux port by providing loan systems to key
Sparc/Linux developers and we will continue doing so. Not only we will
provide remote access and network resource to Debian/UltraLinux developers,
we also intend to provide developers or early users preloaded systems at
prices below their costs to show our support and appreciation."

  When asked why Debian was the distribution of choice, the reply was:

  "Debian is obviously the best distribution so far. The Debian packaging
system and its organized volunteer-based development made it more
maintainable and guarateed its openness in a long run."

  Kachina is providing Internet access, disk space, a publicly accessible
test system, as well as manpower on software packaging and testing to help
the Debian Sparc effort.

 Kachina also hosts Scientific Applications on Linux (SAL)
(http://sal.kachinatech.com), which is a collection of information and links
to software that is useful to scientists and engineers.

  Debian GNU/Linux has been working on a Sparc distribution since November
1996.  This distribution is expected to be ready for release within the next
few months.

>> About Debian

Debian GNU/Linux is a free distribution of the Linux operating system. It is
maintained and updated through the work of many users who volunteer their
time and effort.

>> Contact Information

For further information, please send email to press@debian.org or visit the
Debian homepage at http://www.debian.org.

For more information regarding Debian Sparc development, please subscribe to
the Debian Sparc mailing list <debian-sparc@lists.debian.org>.  This can be

For more information regarding the work Kachina is currently doing please
send email to debian-ultralinux@KachinaTech.com

--
Nils Lohner				E-Mail: lohner@debian.org
Debian GNU/Linux Press Contact          Press:  press@debian.org