Re: Is an ARM computer a good choice? Which one?

The Raspberrys have to me a reputation of being small cheap "slower"
hackable mini-computers, not "workhorses". Have they scaled up that
much since they were introduced?

Is even the Raspberry Pi 4 even close to 'a beefy but quiet desktop
that won't shy away from compiling e.g. LibreOffice'? I don't know
what hardware it runs, but the buildd for arm64 took 17 hours to build
LibreOffice
https://buildd.debian.org/status/logs.php?pkg=libreoffice&ver=4%3A7.4.5-2&arch=arm64
and from https://db.debian.org/machines.cgi
the hardware seems to be sponsored by Ampere Computing, so maybe it
uses one of their CPUs?

Also, I'm worried about the memory. My current desktop has as 8.7GB to
10GB memory used when running "nothing in particular", no compilation,
just Exim4 (+ bayesian spam filtering software when an email comes
in), XFCE, Firefox, Emacs, terminal emulator / shell windows, mutt and
a few instant messaging clients. And a Raspberry Pi 4 tops at 8GB?

Or are you saying I should run that as a silent "terminal" to SSH into
my real work machine? Which begs the question of what the work machine
would be :)

And any idea for a laptop?