Re: Just discovered big bug!

Michael Meskes <meskes@debian.org> writes:

[...]

> So as you might imagine sendmail did not like it and answered with
>
> NOQUEUE: Null connection from localhost [127.0.0.1]
>
> on each mail I fed it via fetchmail. Yes, that means the mail was not
> delivered. But fetchmail simply didn't care at all and flushed my mailboxes.

As far as I can tell, the following settings in .fetchmailrc stop
fetchmail discarding mail when it gets errors delivering it and the
attempted bounce.  Maybe these would fix bug #43140 if they were the
default, too.

--------------------
set nobouncemail

poll pop.clear.net.nz ...... antispam -1

Setting "nobouncemail" stops fetchmail from flushing mail when it
can't deliver the bounce (unless the SMTP error code for the delivery
is 553), and the "antispam -1" stops fetchmail from flushing the
message when it gets certain error codes (501, 550, 554, 571) from the
SMTP server.

According to bug #43140, the default behaviour seems to be a feature.

	 This message was composed from the finest electrons
	 used by many of the world's greatest writers.