Re: the console-data question again

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Joey Hess wrote:

> Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > [11:21pm] hamish@hamishpc:~> sudo dpkg -i debconf_0.2.90_all.deb
> > (Reading database ... 33513 files and directories currently installed.)
> > Preparing to replace debconf 0.2.80.1 (using debconf_0.2.90_all.deb) ...
> > Unpacking replacement debconf ...
> > Setting up debconf (0.2.90) ...
> > debconf: failed to initialize Dialog frontend
> > debconf: falling back to Text frontend
> >

> > Is that the workaround? Fall back to text mode? Good enough.
>
> If you install whiptail you'll get dialog mode again. It just refuses to use
> dialog for that now.
>
> > It's a bit surprising that dialog can be broken during a code freeze..

It has happened in the past for reasons not related to dialog at all.

I remember the need to rebuild ncurses in 1998 (*just* a rebuild from source).
The current ncurses version at that time made dialog and sc to coredump
for unknown reasons.

> Somehow a major new upstream version of dialog was uploaded the very day we
> froze, and got in. Even though it did fix 2 or 3 dialog bugs I've reported,
> I find that very annoying.

I also found this bug very annoying, because you never told me a way to
reproduce it without debconf ;-)

Note: The bug is fixed in debconf_0.2.80.6.

Thanks.

--
 "679192c03a096d6b4e68f54a3a64b2b2" (a truly random sig)