Re: i386->powerpc cross compiler

On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

> Now this sounds like a better idea!

Only thing that's left is

> > hm, maybe even host should be auto-configured (actually it makes sense,
> > otherwise it would mean making a cross-compiler using a cross-compiler!),
> > and only ask for the target platform.
> > What do you think?
>
> (That's called a Canadian cross - people actually do build them
> apparently :)

Yes, that's how I built the powerpc version of gnat package.
I built a x86 -> powerpc cross-compiler, then used that to build a
native powerpc compiler but on the x86 machine. Finally used the resulting
compiler on a real powerpc box to create the proper compiler!
I had begun the same process to port other compilers too (some failed,
some succeeded, cross-compiling is a very tricky job), but I was too
busy to keep it up. Anyway, I stopped when trying to build alpha gnat
packages, cross-compiling simple programs might work but for compilers
the 32-bit <-> 64-bit cpu difference screws things up.

Konstantinos Margaritis