Re: reaction@lists.debian.org

On Tue, Nov 04, 1997 at 10:30:00AM +0000, Philip Hands wrote:
> Hi,

> We seem to be suffering from a spate of rather tedious threads that go round
> and round in circles recently (here and on debian-private).

> Quite often these end up giving a false impression of the consensus view,
> because most people don't want to fan the flames by mailing on the subject, so
> we see the minority view more than the majority view.

<AOL> I agree with your findings... </AOL>

But i'm not sure a new mailinglist will solve the issue - what need desperatly
is formalisized way of making technical decissions (similar to the RFC / RFD
systems). I think this is somethin Ian Jackson want's as well. Now make we d
ecissions in anarchy, nobody really knows what is decided and what isn't.

> This way, when someone comes up with a particularly bone-headed suggestion
> (like this one perhaps :-) instead of starting a flame war, we could just wait
> for a significant disagree:agree ratio to appear and point the original mailer
> at the web page, with either a short explanation of the common view, or the
> suggestion that they look through the archives for the reason why.

We already have a vote system, but the results of the votes where not stored
anywhere AFAIK, and now (in the DFSG issue) people are conducting flames of
issues agreed. If we implement a RFC/RFD style system, it should be linked to
the discussion archive that created it...

Riku Voipio.