Re: Need help hacking print filter.

On Mon, Nov 17, 1997 at 10:03:41PM -0500, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> I am printing postscript files to my HP DeskJet using printcap and a gs
> filter. Things work as expected, but I have several minor glitches that I
> can't figure out how to deal with.
>
> When I print a "plain ascii" file I simply cat the file to the printer.

  It should be easy to and an new printcap entry to pipe  to your own
  script to do these tasks.

  1. generate the .ps file. [ for graphs, I use gnuplot non-interactively ]
  2. .ps -> .hp_deskjet using gs
  3. use cat to prepend your 4-char controls  to .hp_deskjet
  3  cat .hp_deskjet to /dev/lp1  or send it to lpr(1)

  Your script should be able to redirect any error messages.

> The printer defaults to "high quality" print mode, so to save ink I cat a
> set of 4 characters that push the printer into "draft" mode. My problem is
> that I can't figure out how to get the filter to prepend these characters
> to the front of the input stream, so all my postscript files use ink like
> crazy. Is there any way that I can get the characters prepended so that
> postscript files will print in draft mode as well?
>
> In addition I get an error message every time I print a postscript file.
> The message:
>
> Error: /undefinedfilename in (stcolor.ps)
>                                           Operand stack:
>                                                          Execution stack:
>
> appears at the top of the first page (alone thankfully). Is there some way
> to get this error message to the null device instead of the printer?
>
> As I said these are fairly minor problems, and I'm sure HP would be happy
> if I couldn't reduce my ink usage, but my prospective use is going to go
> up so I could realy use a solution.
>
> Any ideas will be greatfully accepted.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dwarf
> --
>
> aka   Dale Scheetz                   Phone:   1 (904) 656-9769
>       Flexible Software              11000 McCrackin Road
>       e-mail:  dwarf@polaris.net     Tallahassee, FL  32308
>
> _-_-_-_-_-_- If you don't see what you want, just ask _-_-_-_-_-_-_-
>

> --

Ioannis Tambouras
ioannis@flinet.com, West Palm Beach, Florida
Signed pgp-key on key server.