Upgrading 1.3.1 -> 2.0 (was Re: predepends on libc6?)

On Fri, 21 Nov 1997, Bdale Garbee wrote:

> In bug report 15091, Christian Meder suggests to me that I make gzip predepend
> on libc6.  It is not clear to me that this is a good thing to do.
>
> What is the process by which we expect current Debian 1.3.1 users to upgrade
> to Debian 2.0?  I used the libc5->libc6 mini-Howto when I upgraded my
> systems, and all went very smoothly.  Do we expect to suggest our users go
> through a similarly manual process as part of the upgrade, or can we make it
> all work without manual intervention?

I personally would like to have the upgrade automatically by using dselect
(i.e. without having to read a mini-howto). Note, that I think the
mini-howto is an excellent piece of work. I just doubt that every user
really reads the documentation before doing the upgrade. And `trail and
error' really produces some `errors' in this situation.

Can someone report what has to be done to make an automatic
upgrade possible?

> I'd be pleased to do whatever is necessary in my packages (particularly
> the essential ones like gzip) to make this transition as smooth as possible,
> but I don't have a good sense of where we are with all this, and don't want
> to do anything rash.

That's good! (Setting a `Pre-Depends:' requires a consensus on
debian-devel by policy, anyways.)

Thanks,

Chris

--                 Christian Schwarz
                    schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Don't know Perl?     schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.perl.com     http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/