Re: Draft new DFSG

On Fri, Nov 27, 1998 at 08:49:55AM -0800, Joseph Carter wrote:
> It was suggested I say this here even though others have said the same sorts
> of things.
>
> I believe the suggested changes to (which is not changes but a complete
> replacement) DFSG is a dud, completely.  I believe trying to adopt it will
> hurt and quite probably destroy Debian.  Here's why:
[...]
> Should Debian become crippled as the DFSG2 would cripple it, I'd go and find
> myself a real distribution because Debian sure wouldn't be anymore.

I agree. The DFSG2 offers such a narrow definition of free software that
I wouldn't enjoy working by its rules.

Things like the patch clause, or the advertising clause make work of some
free software programmers and distributors a bit harder, but not impossible.
We should suggest that free licenses don't use those clauses, but we
shouldn't "forbid" them.

--
Enrique Zanardi					   ezanardi@ull.es