Re: libpam, cracklib, and slink (was Re: Release-critical...)

At 4:53 PM -0500 1/20/99, Ben Collins wrote:
Ok, after looking at this, I've decided that the cracklib support for
PAM would be best handled by having it in a seperate package. I want to
propose a naming scheme for module packages for PAM similar to how
apache modules are named, libpam-mod-foo, where foo is the module name.
Using this scheme the cracklib PAM module package will be named
libpam-mod-cracklib, and this package will contain the Depends for
cracklib.
source I have to 0.66, which will be in my first upload pending
comments concerning this proposed naming scheme (i hope no one has any
objections :)

I object to the the 'mod', it amounts to saying "Pluggable AUthentication Module module"[1]. You are using apache as an example, apache's modules are usually named 'mod_foo', so `libapache-mod-foo' is logical as a package name. I don't think that holds for PAM.

NOTE: This naming scheme will reuire the ppp-pam package to be renamed,
any problems with this?

Uh why? `ppp-pam' is simply `ppp' with PAM support.

[1] Stamp out and eliminate redundancy! ;-)
--
Joel Klecker (aka Espy)                     <URL:http://web.espy.org/>
<URL:mailto:jk@espy.org>                  <URL:mailto:espy@debian.org>