Re: Slink upgrade - the pain of it !!!!!

On 02-Apr-1999, Ian Smith <ian@beaky.force9.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> [To the list]  I am posting here because I think this might be a
> potential release control problem.
>
> Just got my slink CDs from Linux Central, and had _loads_ of problems
> which I did not expect as I am relatively experienced with this Debian
> stuff (upgrades included).  Basically, whichever disk I tried, there
> were always 13/17Mb of packages "held back".
>
> I am wondering whether their images are out of date or if the twin-CD
> apt-get -f dist-upgrade is FUBAR.  As I write this, I am downloading the
> last 13Mb of my upgrade over a slow V34 dialup link at full daily rates
> :(
>
> During my struggles I tried using apt-cdrom instead of the entry in the
> notes (although it was not mentioned in the release notes) and found
> that all four entries it added to the sources file contained the word
> "frozen" in their paths.
>
> Can anyone else that has used Linux Central confirm or comment on this?
> On this experience I would not be inclined to recommend Debian to anyone
> unless they knew at least as much as I do _and_ were prepared to spend
> most of the day sorting out any problems.
>
> I still think Debian's best by the way!

1.  Debian Slink requires multi-CDs to be created with the correct
    control files.  There should be Packages.cd files with the Packages
    files as well as a .disk/info file at the root of the filesystem.

2.  You need to use dpkg-multicd method to use a multi-cd set effectively.
    Apt doesn't appear to support multi-cd installation properly -- it
    doesn't ask you to swap discs properly.  Apt can be
    useful for the first step of upgrading from hamm to slink (e.g. just
    upgrading what's on disc 1), but after that use dpkg-multicd.

3.  I feel the release was rushed through the door without care taken
    to ensure the CDs created were ready and working.

--
The quantum sort:
	while (!sorted) { do_nothing(); }