Re: Working for Debian is not just about packages

On Mon, Aug 02, 1999 at 11:34:37AM +0900, sen_ml@eccosys.com wrote:
> cas> use it for 5 minutes, and all of the above will be self-evident.
>
> i use it occasionally (and info-mode in emacs frequently) and i don't
> share your opinion.
>
> if you are going to claim these things:
>
>   -abysmal user interface
>   -clumsy to use
>   -never does what you expect
>   -search facility is next to useless
>
> i think you should be willing to say specifically how.

like i said, use it and all these will be self-evident.

you are at liberty to disagree, i don't give a damn.

i have better things to do with my time than document and/or explain the
shortcomings of a program i do not and will not use, especially when
there are alternative programs which do the job and which don't suck.

> > (if you've already become familiar with info then try running it
> > while expecting it to behave similarly to almost every other text
> > viewer/browser type program - e.g. lynx and less)
>
> this sounds similar to:
>
>   try using vi while expecting emacs-like bindings or behavior
>                        -OR-
>   try using emacs while expecting vi-like bindings or behavior
>
> is that what you meant?

no, it means exactly what it says it means - that it does not work
similarly to standard tools. i sincerely hope that the significance
of this does not escape you entirely, as i would hate to think i was
completely wasting my time by writing to you.

you are at liberty to not care that info(1) is non-standard and violates
the principle of least surprise wherever possible. again, i don't give a
damn.

> > > are there specific ways in which it could be improved that you can
> > > suggest?
> >
> > ditch it and use pinfo instead.
>
> since you did not give a specific method of improving the info
> program, i presume you mean that you think there are no ways in which
> it could be improved.

correct.  finally.

> > really.  /usr/bin/info is a waste of time.
>
> i do not share your opinion on this matter.  (this is not to say that
> i don't think pinfo is nice -- now that i've been introduced to pinfo,
> i like it as well).

again, you are at liberty to hold whatever opinions you like. i still
don't give a damn.

> but it is clear that you do not like the info program, and do not
> appear to have any interest in having it improved, so i am probably
> wasting my breath :-)

this should have been obvious right from my very first posting about
info.

my message said "info sucks, here are some decent alternatives".  From
this, it should have been obvious that i am not at all interested in
info itself.

> let's not discuss this any more, as it is does not appear to be a
> constructive discussion.

finally, you get the message.

craig

--