this all this xxx-jp nonsense (was: Re: ITP: grep-ja)

Previously Ryuichi Arafune wrote:
> I intend to package (exactly, intend to move from Debian-JP) grep-ja.
> This provides the GNU grep applied a multi-byte extension patch.

I seriously object to this. I do not think that forking all packages in
Debian and creating -jp-package is the right way to go. What should be
done is submit patches to the maintainers, preferably both Debian and
upstream. What I was hoping to see with the integration of Debian-JP
is that all the multibyte patches would be *integrated* with Debian,
not a senseless forking of lots of packages.

I'm even more annoyed that you didn't even contact the maintainer of
the grep package (me) before posting this.

Wichert.

E-Mail: wakkerma@cs.leidenuniv.nl