Re: Package Pool Proposal

Subject: Re: Package Pool Proposal

> On 23 Nov 1999, Ben Pfaff wrote:
>
> > I'm getting into this discussion late, so maybe I don't
> > understand the proposal, but won't we always be able to refer to
> > packages by their location in a distribution?  I think that
> > having to look in the package pool directories directly under
> > that system would be pretty rare, right?
>
> No.. Under the new system there will be exactly *1* path to get to a .deb
> on the ftp site (currently we have at most 6 or so). If you want to use
> 'ftp' and download a .deb you need to be able to determine this single
> path to use.
>
> Two ways are to look in the Package file (apt-cache show foo) or to
> actively search for it on the ftp site.
>
> Jason

What if you dont know the package name ?

I always liked how packages are grouped into topics, so if i want to
look for a proxy server for example, i just have to search through
about 20 deb descriptions (binary-i386/(main|contrib|non-free)/net)
to find what im looking for.

How will could i do the above in this new scheme without reading
the descriptions to 4500 packages?

Maybe im missing the point.

Glenn McGrath