The Grand Plan

(Bcc'ed to -devel-announce)

Hello world,

Please be careful where you reply to: -release is not a discussion list.

Just so everyone knows what's going on:

Testing Cycle Three
~~~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~

I'll probably end this testing cycle (number 2) part way through this
week. What this means is that we'll add all the fixes to the bugs that
we couldn't stand to release into potato, and there'll be a few days
(hopefully no more than a week) while the updated packages get rebuilt
by the porters. When that's complete, we'll build new CD images for you
all to test, and see if we're there yet.

When I say "bugs that we couldn't stand to release" I'm not working on a
1-1 correspondence with the RC bug list. Packages that aren't up-to-date
or aren't even available on a particular architecture won't hold up the
next cycle; bugs that make a package unusable for a number of people but
not everyone won't force a package to be removed; and bugs that don't
affect usability at all probably won't be fixed.

In particular, TC3 looks like involving:

	* The traditional random updates to the install system
	  (boot-floppies, CD scripts, base-config, dpkg; if the people
	   involved could start finalising these now ready for midweek that
	   would be handy, assuming they're not already)

	* Removal of:
		gnome-napster, cheops, freeamp(from powerpc only)

	* Updates for:
		  opie, cupsys, postgresql, emacs20, gnome-pim, eterm,
		  mailx, glide2-v2, glide2-v3, mule2, sysvinit, setserial,
		  xinetd, zope, anacron, atlas, locale-ja, whois, splitvt,
		  openldapd, roxen
	  (all already in incoming)

	* And, hopefully, updates for:
		xfree86, cricket, epic
	  (which are floating around, but not actually uploaded for frozen.
	   cricket and epic will be removed if fixes aren't uploaded, and
	   cricket needs an NMU/sponsored upload, by the looks)

These changes will solve all the RC bugs that seem like they would truly
stop us from releasing. There are maybe a handful of other packages
that'll get accepted too. If there's a package *not* listed above that
should definitely *not* see the light of day on a Debian CD in its
present state, please either (a) make sure the changelog is clear and
obvious and the deb has been uploaded to incoming and marked for frozen,
(b) the appropriate bug report is filed (with details), or (c) make sure
you've mailed me (<ajt@debian.org>) with enough details to know what's up,
and with a reliable means of fixing the problem (either what changes have
to be made to ensure removing the package doesn't break anything else,
or a *tested* fix, uploaded to frozen).

Cheers,
aj (acting release manager)

                                      -- Dave Clark