investigating autopkgtest failures

I managed to push an update [0] that unexpectedly died in
autopkgtests [1]. I'm thankful that the tests brought this
problem to light, and grateful for the bug report--chalk it up
as a nice win for autopkgtests! I'm now pondering how best to
track this down, however, and at something of a loss. So far as
I'm aware, the only artifacts left over from the run are the
logs [2], unless one uses the AUTOPKGTEST_ARTIFACTS mechanism
[3] (which I intend to start using ASAP).

Even with artifacts tweaked to grab a coredump or whatnot,
is there any way to test a modified package in the autopkgtest
environment without a full archive upload? This particular
program is pretty hardware-sensitive, and attempts to reproduce
the bug locally have not yet been fruitful (though given that
the autopkgtest failed on all architectures, it's likely less
hardware-dependent than I'm making out).

Ideally, I'd be able to run the autopkgtests as part of Salsa
CI, which [4] suggests to be doable. Going even further, I'd be
able to ssh into a failed autopkgtest environment (for some
(short) time), and run some one-off experiments therein. Am I
missing an existing process through which this is possible?

Thanks! --nick

[0] https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/growlight
[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=982786
[2] https://ci.debian.net/data/autopkgtest/testing/amd64/g/growlight/10443325/log.gz