Re: need we support unshadowed passwords from the installer

On Fri, Jan 13, 2023 at 09:11:40PM -0500, nick black wrote:
> it's 2023 and imho time to stop supporting unshadowed passwords
> from the installer.
>
>  https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/user-setup/-/merge_requests/5
>
> 1) nis (and possibly conserver?) seem the primary drivers of an
>     unshadowed passwd.=20
>
> let me freely admit that, despite the advanced age of forty-two
> (seventy-eight in UNIX years), that i know nothing about nis/yp
> except that there was a big o'reilly book about it back when one
> read the security book with the big safe on the front and the
> scripting book with the big drill. i suspect it's basically a
> halfway point between syncing /etc/passwd and /etc/hosts with
> cron+rsh, and hiring someone on whom you can inflict ldap? so
> please correct me wherever i'm woefully ignorant.
>
> ...but it appears that NIS can be made to work with shadowed
> passwords (though without their benefits). this is from a
> cursory reading of a FAQ last updated in 2003, so take it with a
> grain of salt. the "linux network administrators [sic] guide"
> seems to confirm this, and can also help you set up IPX or UUCP.
[snip]
> i'm absolutely not suggesting we stop supporting NIS or other
> programs which rely on unshadowed passwords. it's a big ol'
> tent, and we have more than enough room for you to carry forth
> the torch of Solaris 2. i just don't think this belongs in the
> installer anymore.

I know what NIS/YP is, I know of a couple of places where it is
still in use, and, as Mark Haber said, the people running those
places know how to find and flip a switch.

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev  roam@ringlet.net roam@debian.org pp@storpool.com
Key fingerprint 2EE7 A7A5 17FC 124C F115  C354 651E EFB0 2527 DF13