Re: Doc languages

I have rather small disk on my laptop, so I don't want to install
all of the translations also. :-)

This suggestion should go to debian-policy or so?

At 03 Oct 1999 14:23:01 -0400,
Adam Di Carlo <adam@onshore.com> wrote:

> Any other features?

Translation handling mechanism should be flexible, so I propose
that all those translated part of packages should be maintained
by native tongue developer, using cvs like ddp and/or web pages,
and 'packaged separately'.

Methods:

Add gettext like tags to debconf scripts and/or descriptions.

When the new original package was uploaded, extract the tag and
messages from source package, then import them in cvs area.

Each tagged messages should add md5sum to aviod unnecessary
translation effort.

Translate them to each language and import them in subtree.
Native official maintainers might checkout them and package it.

( The packaging method is a subject to discuss. )

Those packages should be handled by apt when fetching according
package with declared needed language.

Merits:

We can ignore unnecessary translations completely.
We can translate asynchronously with upstream debian packages.
Rebuilding packages with whole of the translations (most of them
are unreadable) might unnecessary.
IMHO, 'Installed but not there' seems ugry. ;-)

Demerits:

There is no sample implementaion of this method yet.
This method heavily depends on dpkg's and apt's implementation.
Some packaging model needs to change.
We might need new translation tools.

Thanks for the original idea from Mitsuru Oka <oka@debian.or.jp>

--