Re: WiFi access point for students

El jue, 04-11-2010 a las 20:04 +0100, Jonas Smedegaard escribió:
> On Thu, Nov 04, 2010 at 02:22:18PM +0100, José L. Redrejo Rodríguez wrote:
> >We're currently testing this solution that covers the items you mention
> >too, and it's 1/10 of the value of a good AP.
>
> I guess you mean the opposite: that the solution you are testing
> provides _same_ value while 1/10 _cost_ of a good AP :-)

of course, my spanglish mixed value/costs words ;)

> Really appreciate your detailed real-world experiences, José!
>

> >Anyway, you've forgotten the main difference between a school and a
> >hotel/restaurant setup: the number of concurrent users. Think of a
> >school with only 10 classrooms, 25 pupils per classroom: 260 laptops.
> >As soon as most laptops are in the school, you will soon run out of
> >available wireless channels, and available bandwith. That's why only
> >expensive AP working in 802.11n work (we haven't tested enough the
> >hostap solution), but I can confirm you that ~100 euros AP's will not
> >work as soon as the number of users increase.
> >

> >And, for sure, forget about using 802.11b/g and, if possible, use
> >802.11n with dual band support and work in the 5GHz band, where you can
> >get enough real available channels.
>

> Interesting point about amount of users essentially flooding the radios.
>

> This issue is of concern for the One Laptop Per Child project too, and
> its sister-project, Sugar, too.  I recall it being discussed recently
> (2-4 months ago, I believe - tell me if anyone wants me to locate it
> more exactly) and a proposed solution was to turn *down* the power of
> the radio chips, so as to cover smaller areas per AP, instead of wasting
> radio bandwidth by overlapping too much.  If I recall correctly, the
> proposal originates from the german Freifunk project which apparently
> have had success with setting up AP software to dynamically lower the
> radio power to the least needed depending on some usage patterns.

That's very interesting, we have also thought of reduce the power of the
AP and the laptops radios. A dynamic solution would be fantastic but I
don't know how it can be done. What parameters could be taking to
calculate the needed power? Do you have a link with more information
about the possible algorithm?

Cheers.