Re: now we have GRUB problems...

Hi Seth,
  I am assuming you are doing a cross-install from a debian GNU/linux
system because of your comment:

> (for instance serverboot.gzkg-deb, or something like that

try the grub install from the debian GNU/linux system.  Use apt-get.
set your BIOS to boot first floppy then harddrive
remove the present bootloader if there is one for example lilo
apt-get install lilo-

install the grub bootloader, the latest version is grub 0.93.1
apt-get install grub

make a grub directory in /boot
mkdir /boot/grub/

copy files to /boot/grub/
cp /usr/share/grub/i386-pc/stage1 /boot/grub/
cp /usr/share/grub/i386-pc/stage2 /boot/grub/

copy files to a PREFORMATTED floppy
dd if=/usr/share/grub/i386-pc/stage1 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=1
dd if=/usr/share/grub/i386-pc/stage2 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 seek=1

create a menu.lst file using your favorite quick editor(mine is joe)
joe /boot/grub/menu.lst

the menu.lst file is created/placed in the /boot/grub/directory:  here
is a example of menu.lst(an old copy of mine):
#
# configuration file for the grub bootloader
#
# timeout is 30 seconds
timeout=30

# for booting WINDOWS 98 main
title=  WINDOWS 98 main
root=(0x80,0)
makeactive
chainloader=+1
boot

# for booting WINDOWS 98 experimental
title=  WINDOWS 98 experimental
root=(0x80,1)
makeactive
chainloader=+1
boot

# for booting WINDOWS NT 4.0
title=  WINDOWS NT 4.0
root=(0x80,2)
makeactive
chainloader=+1
boot

# for booting Debian GNU/linux 2.2
title=  Debian GNU/linux 2.2
root=(hd0,4)
kernel=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.13 root=/dev/hda5
boot

# for installing the grub bootloader in the MBR
title=  Install the grub bootloader in the MBR(DANGEROUS!)
pause=Esc to exit, Enter to continue...
install=(hd0,4)/boot/grub/stage1 (hd0) (hd0,4)/boot/grub/stage2 0x8000 p

Remember to put your hurd booting section in your menu.lst!
Once you have created /boot/grub/menu.lst then reboot with your grub
floppy in place.  When the grub prompt comes up use the install=
feature, for example
install=(hd0,4)/boot/grub/stage1 (hd0) (hd0,4)/boot/grub/stage2 0x8000 p

then reboot and have fun

hope this helps
Jim