Re: hardware requirements

   Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 19:39:26 +0100
   From: Tom Cato Amundsen <tomcato@iname.com>

   What do I need of memory and cpu, will an old
   i486 33 or 66 MHz 16 MB do? When compiling the hurd
   on such a system, are we talking about hours, days
   or weeks?

An i486 should do (as long as it is not an SX), but 16 MB of memory is
probably the absolute minimum to do anything "useful" with it.  You'll
need to resove some disk space for swap though.  If you want to do
some real development work you'll probably want a more powerful
machine.  I'm doing serious work on a Pentium 166 with 32 MB of
memory.  Compiling the Hurd on the Hurd itself takes several hours,
the C library in the order of a day (but that includes some reboots).
I usually cross-compile from Linux though.  So on your i486 it will
probably take a couple of days to compile the C library.

Having a network connection is pretty useful.  If the program running
on the console freezes up, you can debug from your other computer.

Mark