New user install report

All,

I wanted to get this email off before I forgot the problems I
encountered during installation.  I followed Matthew Vernon's
installation guide.

 * Matthew's guide is excellent, but it needs to be updated to reflect
   the new --download option to cross-install.  I didn't discover it
   until *after* I'd been through much pain downloading all those
   packages by hand!

 * HURD filesystems needed to be created with -O none to avoid making
   a filesystem with 2.2 enhancements (I think -O none should really
   be the default when specifying -o...);

 * I needed to download a new version of GRUB to boot the hurd; I
   fetched it from alpha.gnu.org;

 * I needed to remove modules/gconv from the list of optional packages
   to install in cross-install;

 * ncurses4 has moved to oldlibs/, the correct ncurses is now
   libncurses5.  These changes also had to be made to cross-install;

All of those changes have been on this list before at one time or
another, but not in one place, and they're still current issues as far
as I know.  These last few haven't been reported before, I think:

 * /usr/info/dir is expected to be present by the postinstall of
   textutils (among others), unfortunately it does not exist and the
   /sbin/install-info script fails because of it.  The solution is to
   touch /usr/info/dir, then run /sbin/clean-info.  The postinstalls
   then run correctly.

   My first attempt at fixing this problem was to touch /usr/info/dir
   and then run the postinstall, I'm almost certain this somehow
   caused the machine to lock up.

 * base-files tries to create /var/mail, but it already exists as a
   symlink.  Removing it and rerunning dpkg --configure works.

I think that's all for now.
--
____
\ _/__ ``I need every braincell blazing