RE: Samba

Roland:

Thanks for the quick response.  I fully understand the lack of available
development resources.  I also think that for the Hurd to be truly usable in
today's heterogenous computing environments it must deal with the ubiquity
of Microsoft's operating systems.  I am not experienced enough with Hurd
architecture to develop any conceptual blueprint, but given such a plan I
would be willing to work on it.  Two of my colleagues are interested in Hurd
development as well.

>From a humble user's perspective, I would like to see the following:

1.  Support for Samba (i.e. file locking)
2.  The ability to obtain device specific information, such as disk
geometry.  This would correct the fdisk problem and, more importantly, make
possible a Hurd installation utility that allows for the management of drive
partitions.
3.  Changing the way Hurd maps a drive partition, to allow for larger
volumes.  (I understand some of this has been done, and is in a separate CVS
branch.)
4.  Corrections to the NFS server, which I have heard tends to lock under
duress.

I'm also curious about microkernel architecture.  I've worked with Mach
quite a bit, and in general I support its use with the Hurd.  I also know
that, in a multiserver environment, the number of IPC messages required
decreases performance, because each message operation involves an expensive
context switch.  MIT developed an "exokernel" a few years back, which
essentially provided only an abstraction of the underlying hardware, leaving
most traditional operating system services left to execute in user space.
Wouldn't it be theoretically possible to implement Mach's process
management, memory management, and IPC mechanisms as some form of protected
programs running in user space on top of this "exokernel?"  I'm not asking
anyone to work on this, or even look into it.  I'm just curious if such an
approach even sounds plausible.

By the way, I understand it is a Hurd convention to make /usr a symbolic
link to /.  May I ask why?

Kevin Musick
kmusick@teldar.com