Re: How to get more developers (was: Mailing List traffic and...)

Farid Hajji wrote:

> Hi Okuji,
>
> >   That's interesting, but what I'm more interested in is the reason
> > why the number of developers doesn't increase, even though so many
> > people subscribe to the list. This is not ironical but a purely
> > academic interest for me.
> first of all, we need some kind of early release (or pre-release, if you
> prefer to call it so) that could be burned on a CD-R! Getting all those
> .debs over a modem link is not only awful, but in some countries really
> expensive. And I'm not yet talking about the difficulties in getting
> accurate and actual informations about the needed packages.
>
> Marcus' tar-balls are here a real good starting point for first-time
> users, but it would be even better to provide splitted files for users
> with flaky connections (Marcus?). Actually, with Marcus' help, it is
> much more easy to get the pieces of a working Hurd together and I also
> mean the .debs. Thank you! You're doing a extremely valuable job at this.
>
> Another important missing point is PPP. We really need PPP in the first
> place, so that it is possible to cvsup (or cvs update) current sources
> directly from a running Hurd system. One (probably quick) way to get PPP
> would be to use FreeBSD's _user-level_ ppp(8), which works through a
> tunnel device of the FreeBSD Kernel (an excellent, highly configurable
> and very user friendly tool, IMHO). A fix may be to provide a tunnel
> translator in the sense of FreeBSD, on which ppp(8) could dock. This
> approach may be even compatible with Mach's and the Hurd's philosophy.
> Any takers?

I have had a little look at this; just for fun, nothing too serious yet.

BSD user space pppd uses tund to establish sockets, (this may not be the right
word)

tund depends on openssl for the encription library libssl;  but is this open?
This needs a licence that can be single user,  but could the source and licence be
openly distributed as part of the Hurd?

BSD user space pppd still generates loads of missing defines, the same as UNIX
bsd.

Are there any experts working on this who could give guidance?

Chris