Re: grub: mounting ext2fs on GNU/Hurd partitions.

On Sat, Jul 10, 1999 at 02:46:27PM +0200, Daniel Kobras wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Jul 1999, Roland McGrath wrote:
>
> > > I found it somewhat irritating that grub refused to mount my Hurd
> > > partition unless I set the partition type to Linux native. The following
> > > patch will allow ext2 filesystems on GNU/Hurd partitions (type 0x63) as
> > > well. Maybe the whole sanity check regarding partition types should be
> > > dropped?
> >
> > We who wrote GNU/Hurd found it somewhat irritating that someone (we know
> > not who) decided to pick a random partition type number and call it "GNU HURD".
> > I'm sure it was done with the best of intentions, but what its
> > purpose or meaning is remains a mystery (to me anyway) and seems to serve
> > just to confuse well-meaning folks like yourself.
>
> I see. Thanks for pointing this out. Confusing it is indeed. Duh!

Stupid idea: why not invent some cryptic name for that "not yet existing"
file system type? That way, we could keep that "reserved" number, and tell
people that use the former name (mainly fdisk, I'd think) to use that
invented name. Once there is a native Hurd file system, we either change the
name again or use the name we invent now. And if it is never used at all,
the situation is no worse than now.

--
-- JESUS CHRIST IS LORD!