Install attempt

I just gave HURD a try for the first time. Here are my questions. I
did look through the FAQ's and some of the mailing list archive, but sorry
if these have already been asked and I didn't see them.

I used the big tarball method to install. I used gnu-19990104.tar.gz. Is
there a newer better tarball, or is this OK?

Can I tell hurd my HD geometry at startup? ie with linux I can say:
append="hda=1550,255,63" and Linux can use my whole HD. This doesn't seem
critical though since I have hurd in the first partition, below the
1024'th cyl.

I keep hearing my hurd partition has to be small. Currently it is 6 gig,
but I don't see anything complaining. Is this OK?

As per the easy install instructions I did settrans /servers/socket/2
/hurd/pfinet ...  Then tried to ping a known address and got the message
"ICMP protocol not installed".  I entered '/hurd/pfinet' and got a message
saying I have to start the translator.  How do I do I start it? There was
nothing in the easy install about this. Also, I saw HURD detect my network
card, so that isn't the problem.

vi hangs the system. No more keyboard input. I have to do a hard boot.

Sometimes when I boot HURD they keyboard doesn't work at all. Any key will
produce a beep or garbage.  When I re-boot everything works. This doesn't
happen often. I don't know if it is something I did, or HURD did.

What is the state of X -- I've heard it runs. Are there any X apps that
run (ie window managers, xterm)

In general, is there an archive of HURD software anywhere. Esp gcc, emacs
or vi, includes for gnu libc. (Should these be on my system already?)

I'd like to play more with HURD. How is most of the development done?
Cross-compiles from linux, or is HURD ready to do devel right on HURD?

Thanks in advance.
--
Scott Jacobsen
sjacobsen@home.com

It is always possible to aglutenate multiple separate problems
into a single complex interdependent solution. In most cases
this is a bad idea. -- rfc1925