new inetutils package with better syslogd

Hello,

I uploaded inetutils 1.3.2-6, which will hit the archive in a day or so.

This is the best inetutils ever :)

I updated syslogd to understand all the nifty additions from the Linux
config file format, so you can use the same config file as under Linux (or
at least similar. We don't have xconsoles, virtual consoles and such).

I also did implement many other changes that I found in the Linux syslogd. I
amin contact with the maintainer of inetutils about getting this changes in
the upstream source.

There are still some major features missing from the linux version (unix
domain sockets and other network stuff), but then we have a much nicer glibc
integration and no limits on hostname lengths etc. It's a draw :)

(Another story is the kernel logger, we need to work on this, too, but I am
not sure what is involved. Any tips from our mighty heros?)

A complete list of changes can be found below.

And yes, if you install this package, syslogd WILL stop complaining at start
up.

Someone cares to syslogify the Hurd now?

Thanks,
Marcus

1999-06-08  Marcus Brinkmann  <brinkmd@debian.org>

	* syslogd/syslogd.c (cfline): Allow space as delimiter.

	* syslogd/syslogd.c (init): Add support for continuated lines
          (implemented by Miquel van Smoorenburg <miquels@cistron.nl>).

	* syslogd/syslogd.c (main): Type of len changed from int to size_t.

	* syslogd/syslogd.c: Include <version.h>.
	(main): Add option -V (version).

	* syslogd/syslogd.c: Fixed typo in comment.

	* syslogd/syslog.conf.5: Seperator can now be a space, too.

	* syslogd/syslogd.c: New macro F_PIPE.
	(TypeNames): New logfile type PIPE.
	(fprintlog): Support for F_PIPE added.
	(init): Likewise.
	(cfline): Likewise, use '|' in conf file.
	(cfline): Open log files with O_CREAT and
	permission 0644.

	* syslogd/syslog.conf.5: Add documentation for
	new logfile type PIPE.

	* syslogd/syslogd.c (usage): Add -V option,
	make output consistent with other GNU tools.

	* syslogd/syslog.conf.5: Mention continuated line feature.

	* syslogd/syslogd.c (cfline): Fix bug in last change.
	Add parentheses to silence gcc warning.

	* syslogd/syslogd.c (main): Try harder to get the FQDN of
	localhost and convert LocalDomain to lowercase.
	(cvthname): Add "." to output strings.
	Convert hostname to lowercase before comparing with LocalDomain.

	* syslogd/syslogd.c: New global variable "NoHops".
	(main): New option "-h" to clear NoHops.
	(usage): Document new "-h" option.
	(fprintlog): New argument (char *) from.
	If from != LocalHostName and NoHops set, don't forward
	message.
	(logmsg): Add from argument to fprintlog invocation.
	(domark): Likewise.
	(die): Likewise.
	(init): Likewise.

	* syslogd/syslogd.8: Document new "-h" option.

	* syslogd/syslogd.c (printline): Add SYNC_FILE to logmsg
	invocation for more reliability.
	(struct filed): New member f_flags to hold new macro OMIT_SYNC.
	(logmsg): Only fsync if OMIT_SYNC is not set.
	(cfline): Clear f_flags at initialization.
	Set OMIT_SYNC in f_flags if action is prepended by `-' in
	the conf file.

	* syslogd/syslog.conf: Add `-' rule.

	* syslogd/syslogd.c (decode): Double buffer size.

	* syslogd/syslogd.c (printline): Make eight bit clean for our
	friends in Russia (and other).

	* syslogd/syslogd.c: INET_SUSPEND_TIME, INET_RETRY_MAX,
	F_FORW_UNKN: New macros.
	TypeNames: Add "FORW(UNKNOWN)". If gethostbyname fails for some host,
	this type will retry INET_RETRY_TIMES times before it finally fails.
	(fprintlog): New variable hp. Move clearing f_time inside every
	case it is appropriate for. Add new case F_FORW_UNKN. New goto
	target f_forw. Only clear f_prevcount if appropriate.
	(init): Do not close f_file for F_FORW. Add debug output for
	F_FORW_UNKN.
	(cfline): If gethostbyname fails, set f_type to F_FORW_UNKN instead
	giving up instantly.

	* syslogd/syslogd.c (logmsg): Only accept priority if the exact bit
	is set (instead of an inequality).
	(cfline): negate_pri, excl_pri, pri_set, pri_clear: New variables.
	Allow '!' and '=' prepended to priority specification to exclude
	these resp. higher priorities.

	* syslogd/syslog.conf.5: Document level modifiers '!' and '='.