Re: File system corruption

> On 30 Sep, Brent Fulgham wrote:
> >   If you are experiencing
> > the same ext2fs problem I am, you will see the following:
> >
> > "ext2fs:  Warning:  bad type XX in directory entry: inode: YY offset: ZZ"

I saw this message very frequently using ext2fs from
hurd_19990907.deb.  A fresh build from CVS today seems not to help.
(I replaced only the dynamic ext2fs, but the warnings are about a
partition controlled by the new version.)

Besides console messages, I am seeing gcc die occasionally with
"Computer bought the farm".  Restarting make gets around the problem,
but the failures gradually become more frequent until the system
becomes so unusable that I reboot.  I managed to build ext2fs with
symbols, attach, and stop it at the point of printing the warning.  If
anyone who can't reproduce this wants to debug it, I'm willing to set
you up with a shell on the Hurd box.  Unfortunately, I built with -O3
optimization, but would be willing to try again at -O0 (if the system
survives long enough).

I'd really like to be working on a different project, so I'm looking
for the latest hurd (preferably .deb) that does not have this bug.
The snapshots directory on alpha.gnu.org has a series of tarballs
ending at 19990329.  Is that my best bet?

Thanks
-John