Hurd installation problem - semisolved

I got Marcus' most recent tarball (1019), and my problems with less are
solved, at least.  I still have problems with the vim from vim-tiny and with
telnet.  However, rlogin seems to work for me, and that is good enough for
the moment.  I am going to use the problem with vim as a test bed to learn
to debug Hurd programs.  I would also like to see what is required to
build the ssh package, though I realize I can't do much with the knowledge.

For the record, I think that I have pfinet configured properly.  I can
get ping and nfs mounting done without any problems, so I think that means
the network is configured properly.

Thanks for all your help.

P.S. I will piggyback this on a substantive message.  There was some
interest expressed in having a meeting of Hurd folk in the Boston MA
area.  If anyone is interested, I will try to coordinate it, though
I don't have any leads about space.  If the numbers are small enough
we could meet in my living room, but more than 5 or 6 people would be
more than its carrying capacity.