It Works!

Package: hurd
Version: 19991004

Hi,

Finally, found the time to install the hurd via Marcus Brinkmann's
cross-install and stuff. All in all a success. All responsible please
accept my congratulations.

Things went well more or less. Some minor remarks.

1. When the native-install crashed on me (see below) there was no way
to get things working without going to a running Linux and doing and e2fsck.
This was because there was no /dev/hd0s[0-9] to do an e2fsck on. Is there
no way to create this node before the hurd boots just in case?

2. The system used to repeatedly crash with paging errors until
I added swap (200MB of it). In particular, dselect did so repeatedly.
There should probably be a remark (in the docs) to the effect that lots
of virtual memory is required.

3. I also managed to build (using utils from dpkg-hurd-dev) various
packages but got some crashes on the way. These stopped once I started
doing periodic "syncs".

4. The standard "debian/rules binary" build procedure seems to produce
the correct binaries but flags them with archicture "i386" instead of
"hurd-i386". How does one correct this?

5. Now I have to figure out how I can help this development.

Thanks and regards,

Kapil.