kernel panic

I installed the Debian/Hurd yesterday (11/8), and after much mucking
around, (I didn't know that you should keep Hurd partitions under 1GB,
so I had to do some repartitioning, which did some crazy things.  I
ended up just reinstalling everything Linux and Hurd.)  I got the
kernel to boot using GRUB.

It boots, finds my PCI NE2000 network card but doesn't recognise the
chipset.  But that isn't the big problem.

It ends with this line:

panic: Cannot load user-bootstrap image:error code 6000

So I don't know what's up.  Should I use the tarbells instead?

Any help would be appreciated.  The idea of Hurd sounds pretty cool,
and I'd like to investigate it a bit more.

Marshal