Some newbie questions

Hallo!

I've installed Hurd on my machine accordingly to The easy Guide from http://www.pick.ucam.org/~mcv21/hurd.html but still have some doubts about using it. My questions are the following:

#1: The df command output is:

df: cannot read table of mounted filesystems.

It happens even when I mount my floppy drive or any other linux native partitions. Why?

#2: I'd like to mount different filesystems other than ext2 ones, such as BSD, msdos partitions and IDE CD-ROM drives. Which are the arguments I have to use in the command below?

mount -t [filesystem type] /dev/hd0s1 /mnt

For msdos partitions, I've tried
mount -t msdos /dev/hd0s1 /mnt
with no success.

#3: Capslock key doesn't function. In order to type  MAKEDEV, for instance, I need to keep the Shift key pressed all the time... Any idea?

#4: After installing the base system I'd like to get other packages via ftp. I have an ordinary ppp connection to an ISP. Ppppconfig is the basic package which sets it up, but it depends on other ones such as ppp, netbase and so on I couldn't find at ftp://ftp.debian.org/pub/debian/dists/potato/main/binary-hurd-i386

How can I setup a ppp connection this way?

Awaiting for some help,

Thanks,
Rickie