It works :-)

Hello! ("oh, now, him again")

It seems that GNU/Hurd will never work on my old i486-machine
because the hard-disc is a little bit damaged (but I'll try it
again if I have time)... So I removed my SuSE Linux on my i586
and installed GNU/Hurd there. It worked fine. :-)

Well, not realy, I got the "every-second-key-is-lost-bug" after
seting a translater for my Linux-partition ("settrans -c /linux
/hurd/ext2fs /dev/hd1s5") and I did't remember how to fix this
(I'll check the mailing-list-archives later). I rebooted and it
worked again. I tried to create a user and activate a
swap-partition, but the first problem was that "ae", the only
editor (I think "ed" can't be called an editor) I could find
sometimes displayed the cursor in the wrong line which was very
confusing. I checked if TERM was set to "mach" and yes, it was.

I hope that vim will work.

Everytime I tried to save a file I got the message "failed to
write file [filename]". But I was logged in as "root" and the
permissions of the files were "-rw-rw-rw". I booted into Linux
to edit the files but when I opened them from there, the
modifications I did under the Hurd were written to the files...

Strange...

But my biggest problem is that I have to type everything with
us-keyboard-layout. How can I use an alternate keymap?

Cheers
Wolfgang

PS: Is there anything like a GNU/Hurd-Webring?

--
Real Programs don't use shared text. Otherwise, how can they
use functions for scratch space after they are finished calling