X on a Toshiba Tecra 700ct

I have aquired a Tecra 700ct and have installed potato on it. I can run X
without a problem when I enter text mode again either by switching to a
diffrent virtual consol or by closing X the laptop rings untill I restart
the computer. This doesn't happen when I tell XF86Setup not to detect my
graphics chip but instead to use the default but in that case X looks like
it is in 400x400 no matter what settings I choose. Does anybody have any
ideas on what could be causing this problem ?