x-window-manager link

Folks,

I'm wondering if someone could help me with configuring my Debian 2.2.2r3
laptop to use KDE desktop....   When first installed, I chose 'twm' as my
default window manager.   Once I knew that X was configured and running well,
I put a KDE source in my sources list and used deselect to install KDE 2.1.2.

I now can access the KDE apps and even start the KDE desktop, but only with
menu selection via 'twm's menu.

I've gotten a clue from another message on this list about the
'update-alternatives' facilities, but this was a message from someone that
switched back and forth from gnome and KDE.

In the /usr/bin/x-window-manager is a link pointing to
/etc/alternatives/x-window-manager file, which in turn is a link to
/usr/bin/X11/twm.

I would like to be able to start the KDE desktop from the command line with
the 'startx' command.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!