Re: sid: libc6-2.2.5-4 kills vmware workstation 3.0

At 1:04 +0200 4/10/02, Daniel Stone wrote:
>On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 11:52:43PM +0100, Thom May wrote:
>> * Robert van der Meulen (rvdm@wiretrip.org) wrote :
>> > Quoting Geert Stappers (Geert.Stappers@xs4all.nl):
>> >
>> > English is the common language on this list. If you are sending your reply
>> > to the list on purpose, please use English. If you meant to talk to Jeroen
>> > privately, please remove all non-list/non-english Cc's. You're wasting the
>> > time (and annoyance) of hundreds of users on this list, by sending a
>> > Dutch-only message to it. I might understand it, most people on this list
>> > probably don't.
>>
>> So do we get a translation then?
>> Or was it just childish/rude/pointless?
>
>Can we get a translation even if it was? :)

The message was indeed intended as a private message.
It was an error on behalf of me that it became public.
Sorry.

The translation:

Hi Jeroen,

Let that Tony Mancill go.
Your defense is good.
Don't put any more time in it.
Do nice things.
Build good software.
Keep up the good work.

Geert

End translation.

Main reason to write that message was
 the proposal for / the question about / just only the idea about
"a method to express reluctance concerning an applicant"
on the Debian new maintainer mailing list.

One reluctance expressions will void
ten or more good things that the applicant did.

IMHO there better ways to tell a applicant that

<cite>
  It's your own fault. You choosed to run non-free software, now you get
  the consequences. Debian doesn't support vmware, so go somewhere else
  with your vmware problems. (Debian does support plex86 and bochs, BTW)
</cite>

should be rewritten to something like.

<cite>
  You have encountered the bad side of non-free software.
  Consider an alternative for vmware such as plex86 or bochs.
  ( They are in Debian testing ( that will become Woody ))
</cite>

and that it also is wise to keep calm.

Geert Stappers
Wannabee Debian Developer