Re: Comments on policy modifications

Zed Pobre wrote:
> "Files" section:
>
>     I left the files section as it was in the original proposal under
> the idea that a minimal set of changes was more likely to find
> agreement.  Originally, the thought was to separate the issue of
> logfiles being a subsection of files rather than documentation from the
> issue of "Files" needing a whole section devoted to itself.  If there
> are no serious objections, I'd like to keep this one as is.  If anyone
> feels that "Files" should end up in its own primary section, that could
> be filed as a new wishlist bug.

The reason I proposed to do both changes at once is that renumbering
policy sections is painful.  Currently I can refer people to "section
4.5 of the policy manual".  For some time after sections are
renumbered, I will have to specify "section 4.5 of policy manual
versions 2.5 or later".  If sections are going to be renumbered, it's
better to do them all at once.

The renumbering problem is more acute for me because lintian makes
many such references.  I'd rather not go through them twice.

Richard Braakman