Re: Software in main that is throughly useless without non-free software

On Sun, May 02, 1999 at 08:07:15AM -0700, Joseph Carter wrote:
> And yet there are two attempts out there to write a free ICQ server.  The
> specs are published.  Nobody has released one yet but so what?
>
> If the protocol is published the lack of a free server AT THE MOMENT
> should not penalize the software.
>
> TIK obviously needed some information on how the AOL messaging service
> works or it couldn't have been written.  The same information could be
> used to write a free server at any point.
Again, it is a what-level question:
AOL has published (unoffical) specs, but they have a lot of holes in them
(IE are barely usable).
AIM&ICQ have published (unoffical) specs, but they don't fully cover current
non-free server versions.
TIK has a published offical spec under an almost-free licence (if I remember
correctly, you can't use it in a way which is dispariging to AOL) -- but I
can't recall the location of the upstream source to check.  Sombody want to
mail it to me?

Is an offical, free, spec as good as a free server?  What about an unoffical
spec?  What about a partal spec?  Slippery slopes are annoying things.  Low
mu, and everybody knows mu is good for answering unanswerable questions.

	-=- James Mastros
--
"They are never alone that are accompanied by a nobel thoughts."
	-=- Written on the US Library of Congress