Re: Clarification: Eliminate nagging at installation time?

On Wed, Jul 07, 1999 at 11:42:16AM +0200, Goswin Brederlow wrote:
> > There are reasonable defaults for all these things, and they can all
> > be fixed after install. But it seems to me that the possibility of
> > having your system suddenly get trashed for no apparent reason makes
> > the nagging worthwhile.
>
> On updates the thing will look completly different. The frontend
> (whatever one uses) should come up with a list of packages that have
> altered configs for you to looki at and decide to take or reject the
> changes made by the packages author.

Actually, it were mainly those config-file naggings that cause my question.
Why not just default to keeping the old config file automatically and log
those cases where the admin should look at the situation afterwards. Most
often, one can't decide that without looking at it, anyway. (Unless you
remember exactly what you changed and then, most often, you want to keep
it.)

--
-- JESUS CHRIST IS LORD!