Re: Proposal: incremental release process (the package pool)

On Sun, Oct 24, 1999 at 07:32:40PM -0200, Lalo Martins wrote:
> PROPOSAL: NEW (`Incremental') RELEASE PROCESS --- DRAFT

Here's my preferred alternative. I don't want to advocate it too strongly,
since it doesn't have working code yet. Consider it advocacy for `further
discussion' if this proposal gets the requisite number of seconds.

Basically, what I'm thinking would work would be three distributions:

        stable, testing, unstable     (note the sorting order! I'm so proud.)

Stable and unstable would remain more or less exactly as they are now. There
aren't any changes to dinstall, or how/where you upload to, etc.

Testing is a distribution that's completely automatic --- a program
(with minimal human assistance, I'm not entirely clear on how to manage
this) selects packages from unstable that satisfy a number of criteria
and replaces the existing versions in testing with versions from unstable.

The criteria I think would be best are:

	* binaries for all appropriate architectures have been built
	* they are installable using just packages from testing
	* they don't make any other package in testing uninstallable
	* the package doesn't have any outstanding release-critical bugs
	* this version of the package has been in unstable for a fortnight
	  or more

This has a number of nice properties:

	* no extra work if you don't really care about the release cycle.
	  If your packages are bug free, they get released, if they're not,
	  they don't.

	* we have a `fairly up to date, and not too broken' distribution
	  to point people at, rather than `way old, but not broken' and
	  `up to the second, but flakey'.

	* presumably this means `testing' gets a much wider audience than
	  unstable. as such, the only way to really get a package out
	  to `tha people' is to fix your RC bugs, which theoretically
	  encourages people to do so promptly, rather than just around
	  freeze.

	* if you want to upload something to unstable, but don't want it
	  released, this is as simple as filing a bug report like: