Testing Distribution

Hello world,

You may or may not have seen or remember me talking a while ago about a
`testing' distribution. I wanted it to fit somewhere between `stable'
and `unstable', and be automatically populated from packages uploaded
to unstable; but taking open bugs, dependencies and whatever else into
account. [0]

Anyway, thanks to the awesome power of lully.d.o, and far too much time
spent hacking around, I'm starting to prototype this now. It's already
had a few test runs just working on Packages.gz files, and it seems to
be okay, so this bodes fairly well.

What it does at the moment:

	* Keeps track of one set of sources, and a set of packages for each
	  of alpha, i386, m68k, sparc and powerpc.

	* Adds all packages from a source at once

	* Only adds a source package when it's been compiled for all
	  architectures (or, at least, all architectures it's ever been
	  compiled for)

	* Only adds a source package when it doesn't make packages that
	  used to be installable, uninstallable.

	* Only adds a source package when it's been around for a fortnight.

What it should do, but doesn't yet:

	* Rearrange a dists/testing/main hierarchy to match the Packages
	  files it generates. (tomorrow, hopefully)

	* Interface with the BTS, to ensure the number of RC bugs in
	  a package either strictly decreases, or remains at 0.

	* Remove source packages that are no longer needed.

	* Output which packages weren't considered for inclusion and why,
	  and which were rejected, and why.

These are, I believe, fairly easy to get done, though.

The source is available [1], FWIW.

Further updates as they come to hand.

Cheers,
aj

[0] http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-project-9910/msg00060.html

[1] http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/testing-19991211.tgz

I don't speak for anyone save myself. GPG encrypted mail preferred.

 ``The thing is: trying to be too generic is EVIL. It's stupid, it
        results in slower code, and it results in more bugs.''
                                        -- Linus Torvalds