Re: Is work on Debian community service?

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 12:24:01AM -0400, Duncan Findlay wrote:

> I'm in my last year of high school, and at my school it is required
> to complete 50 hours of Community Service in one's final 3 years.

> Do you think work for the Debian project should be considered
> Community Service?

I don't think there's a universal definition of "community service".
Since your school is the one defining the term in this case, I suggest
that you ask them.  Our opinions matter little here.

> Of course, they don't trust me to record my own hours.

Well, then, who do they trust?  Someone from Debian might be willing
to help record your hours, but that won't help if your school doesn't
trust them either.

Basically, I think you're talking to the wrong set of people here.
You need to pitch this idea to your school, not us.  Now, if you're
just asking if we think it might be worthwhile to pitch this idea to
your school, then I'd say yes.

--
Chris Waters           |  Pneumonoultra-        osis is too long
xtifr@debian.org       |  microscopicsilico-    to fit into a single