Re: Documenting Python Debuntuisms

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010, Barry Warsaw wrote:

We had a report in upstream Python from a user who was trying to find
information about dist-packages.  He did a Google search and didn't find any
definitive official explanation of this Debuntuism.  His suggestion was to add
a note to the official Python documentation, but that doesn't seem quite right
to me.

I think it would be better to have official documentation on wiki.debian.org[1]
about issues of interest to Python developers on Debian and Ubuntu.  This
would be a user-oriented set of pages, not a developer set of pages.  Things
like dist-packages and probably that python-setuptools gives you distribute
would be two things to start with.  I'm sure there are others.

So: do you think this is a good idea?  If so, where should this information
go?  I'm not sure Teams/PythonAppsPackagingTeam or Teams/PythonModulesTeam are
really the best place for this.

As a random bystander, yes, I think a page on wiki.d.o is great idea. I think that if you're not sure where to put the page, just live the wiki dream and put it in any random place. And then once the page gets traffic and content people will figure out the *right* place for it.

-- Asheesh.

--
Packages should build-depend on what they should build-depend.
		-- Santiago Vila on debian-devel