Re: Messed up a salsa commit - how best to fix?

Hi Timo,

On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 01:55:13PM +0200, Timo Röhling wrote:
> Hi Julian,
>
> * Julian Gilbey <julian@d-and-j.net> [2022-04-26 11:03]:
> > It turns out that I'd also messed up more than I'd realised: even when
> > I pulled in the updated master branch, I didn't pull the upstream
> > branch, so managed to introduce even more conflicts.  Oh well.
> It's an easy mistake to write "git pull" if you meant to do "gbp
> pull". I lost count how often I wrote "git pq" by accident...

Ah, I didn't know about gbp pull/push!  I'm definitely going to use
those in future (and repeatedly make that same typing mistake!).

> > To fix the problem, I did:
> >
> > $ git checkout upstream
> > $ git reset --hard upstream/5.3.0
> Judging from the current commit graph, you probably threw in a
> "git merge -s ours origin/upstream" here as well?

Yeah :-( Well, sort of.  I did the git reset, then git push --all and
got an error because I hadn't done a pull on this branch :-(  So then I
did a git pull on this branch followed by resolving the conflicts....

> > $ git checkout master
> > $ gbp pristine-tar commit
> >
> > and that fixed everything.  I finished with git push --all and git
> > push --tags.
> Nice!
>
> > I hope I don't make this mistake again!
> Don't worry about it too much. Git is quite resilient, and as long
> as you do not panic and start force-pushing random stuff, everything
> can be repaired.

I'm not too worried, just that it took far more effort than it would
have done if I'd done things right to begin with!

Best wishes,

   Julian