Re: Fixing upstream branch after tagging

On Mon, Dec 05, 2022 at 06:24:48AM +0000, Guðjón Guðjónsson wrote:
> Hi list
> I am working on eric and I made a mistake while updating the git repository.
> Some paths have changed so files were not excluded correctly and now upstream
> and pristine-tar contain jquery*.js files.
> How can I remove the files after having tagged?
> I read that the pristine-tar branch should be removed [1]. Is that correct?
> Regards
> Gudjon

Hi Gudjon,

It depends on whether you have pushed to a remote repository yet, or
whether it's still only on your local machine.  If you've already
pushed, then you'll have to update your local versions and give it a
different version number (for example, +ds2 rather than +ds1), doing a
fresh gbp import-orig on the repacked source package.

If you're still only on your local machine, this is an error I have
made a number of times, only noticing after doing gpb import-orig.  To
fix it, you can roll back the gbp import-orig.  With care, do the
following (where git co is shorthand for git checkout):

git co debian/unstable  [or whatever your branch is]
git log
git reset --hard <commit ref of commit just before the gbp import-orig>

git co upstream
git log
git reset --hard <commit ref of commit just before the gbp import-orig>

git co pristine-tar
git log
git reset --hard <commit ref of commit just before the gbp import-orig>

git tag -d upstream/<upstream version number of wrongly imported package>

There is probably a better way to do it, but this has worked for me.

Good luck!

   Julian