Re: trolling for bad memory references using electric fence

Hi James,

On Mon, Feb 14, 2000 at 09:41:25PM -0500, James R. Van Zandt wrote:

> Judging from the mailing list archives, there has not been much
> Quality Assurance activity in support of Debian :-) I would like to

Right. It seems nobody currently has enough free time. I would have but
I am organizing the CeBIT fair now :(

> suggest a type of test that is comparably easy to perform:  checking
> for bad memory references using electric-fence.  Here is the relevant
> part of /usr/share/doc/electric-fence/README.Debian:

Sorry, but this is not what debian-qa is going to do (I hope): There are
enough known bugs. We will have to fix them first before going to hunt
even more bugs.

> My own package autoproject failed, even though it is a shell script.
> I traced the failure to automake, which is a perl script.
> I have therefore filed a bug against perl-5.005-base (#57217).
> No action on that bug, unfortunately.

Hmm, perl sometimes tends to crash but what can you do about it? Ever
tried to read and understand the source?

> I would like to see more of the distribution tested this way.  Any
> takers?

Whoever has the time - go ahead. Let's see how much the BTS can take.
Still I would like to concentrate on the known bugs first.

Thanks

    Torsten

--
Torsten Landschoff           Bluehorn@IRC               <torsten@debian.org>
           Debian Developer and Quality Assurance Committee Member