Re: Help: Netgear or Linksys NIC's? Please?

At 07:42 PM 5/21/00 -0600, montefin wrote [in part]:
>I'm having an SDSL connection installed the first week of June. I will
>need to have network cards in both my computers. I am told the installer
>will take care of the rest while installing a Flowpoint 2200 DSL Router.

Did whoever told you this realize that you were connecting a Linux-based
fiewall to the router?

>I have never had nor installed a network card in any computer. I have
>received recommendations on two:
>
>1.) Netgear's FA310TX 10/100 PCI RJ45 NIC NIC
>
>2.) Linksys's ETHERFAST FAST ENET PCI 10/100 MBS 10/100BTX RJ45 PNP
>
>Prime considerations are #1 support in Debian/Linux, #2 ease of
>installation and configuration for a non-hardware guy. I've seen both
>these cards discussed here and have read back through the archives, but
>would like some 'fresh' input before purchasing. I need to make a choice
>and buy & install 2 of the same card this week to be ready for the
>installer.

I've used the Linksys (specifically the LNE100TX). The tulip driver with the
latest kernel (2.2.15) supports them properly. Haven't used the Netgear.
Also used and liked a D-Link and (except for price) a 3C905. But they are
all pci-slot cards -- does the 486/66 you plan to use as a firewall have pci
slots? (Only asking since you identify youreslf as a "non-hardware guy".)

>The 2 computers are:
>
>a.) a 486DX 66MHz, 24Mb, HDD 814Mb, Kernel 2.2.15pre19-2 -- currently
>all IDE (no-scsi card, although scsi is enabled in the kernel) booting
>only Debian Potato (not Frozen) over a 56k internal modem dial-up to a
>local ISP.

Potato == Frozen right now. Or do you mean you haven't upgraded lately? If
so, you want to, at least bringing the kernel up to 2.2.15. You'll need to
compile your own kernel to enable some of the firewalling stuff anyway,
probably.
>happen to have a spare PI 166MHz mainboard a friend gave me, so if
>there's any significant advantage to upgrading the 486DX firewall box
>with that please let me know. I was planning to build a 3rd leg for the
>milkstool with that board but will use it now if there's considerable
>advantage in a faster firewall?

The 486 is plenty fast for SDSL. I run a Slink-based 486/40 firewall here
with DSL ... on a 10 mbps LAN with Ne2000 cars on both interfaces. Never a
problem. For you, the only issue is whether your 486 has pci slots; if not,
you'll need to run it at 10 mbps with isa-bus cards. No big deal for the DSL
side, but possbily a problem on the LAN side.

Palo Alto, CA           	 	         ray@comarre.com