Re: /etc/init.d/boot message?

>> servis@purdue.edu writes:
>> I have bootet some HPux systems here at the Univiersity and I realy
>> liked the way they boot:
>> After the kernel is loaded you get a list of things to be done. All
>> have a [.....] at the end. Now the bootprocedure goes from top to
>> bottom and fills in what its doing into that list.
>> Heres an example made up to explain what I mean:

Yep I have seen that sort of thing before, and I think it would be a good idea.

>> Running filesystem check ............. [  ok  ]
>> Mounting local filesystems ........... [  ok  ]
>> Starting remote services ............. [failed]
>> Synchronysing time ................... [ wait ]
>> Starting xdm                           [......]
>>
>> The status in [...] is colored. OK is green, wait and similar are
>> yellow, failed will be red I think.
>>
>> I would like to implement a similar thing for Linux. My programm would
>> check the last boot sequence for output and create a menu
>> acordingly (this could be done on roots demand or after every
>> boot). Also the boot messages would go to another console (like
>> console 8) and to a logfile.
>>
>> What do you think of this?

I think It may be rather difficult to implement, as wouldn't it mean a program
taking over the boot process and it would then be this program that controled
the execution sequence of the init scripts.  Also how would you tell if the
scripts had been executed sucsessfully?  Do they return a code or something on
completion?

But generally I would like to see something like this, writing the output from
this program to a seperate log file might be an idea to.

Good Luck

Graham

P.S. If you want any help please feel free to contact me.

---+
| Graham Lillico	| E-Mail :	graham.lillico@gecm.com	|
|             		| 	glillico@unix.tcat.ac.uk	|
---+