Re: Re: Debian Crash

Quoting John Maheu (jmaheu@raemac.econ.ualberta.ca):
> Hardware problems can pop up any time. I had to use a ps/2 mouse for a
> month and I found X would lock up occasionally. However, I could telnet
> in and kill X. It may have been a problem with gpm. Once I switched
> back to a Logitech serial mouse everything was fine.
> The point is you can have a hardware problem (irq conflict) and only
> observe the problem occasionally.
>
> Best to write down in detail what happened and wait for the next
> occurrence.

To be fair to the hardware, any buggy X program can grab the keyboard
and mouse input, and then loop forever. For example, it's easy to make
the linux version of Melts (from washington.edu) do just that and it's
common enough to be useful for training windoze losers who wouldn't have
come across the telnet trick (or using a serial terminal the same way).

Cheers,